With autumn and winter months fast approaching I am desperately trying to extend my summer by eating some of my favourite warmer weather foods. In my opinion grilled corn is the epitome of summertime food especially for those of us that don’t eat meat. While I may be replacing sunny days spend outside doing yoga with hours of note taking and exams my food can still be fun. But I’m going to put this out there now… This is a bit of cheat recipe because it uses tinned sweet corn. I personally like to use the salt free sweet corn (the only ingredients are sweet corn and water so it’s a relatively ‘clean’ food). For me using whole cobs of corn is far too messy and time consuming. Plus you don’t need a barbeque for this recipe so it can be enjoyed all year around.
I combined this recipe with chickpea flour tortilla/pancakes, 3 bean chilli, avocado and fresh coriander to make the most amazing gluten free vegan burritos. They are packed full flavour and delicious nourishing ingredients. I should be posting some of the other recipes in the near future.
Corn is a rich source of insoluble fibre which leads to an increased sense of satiety as well as lowering cholesterol levels. A diet rich in fibre also contributes to digestive health. Corn also offers pantothenic acid, phosphorous, vitamin B3. So it’s just a really great food to include in your diet. The other ingredients in this recipe such as tomatoes and cucumbers are also packed full vitamin C and K which makes it even more nourishing.
Roasted Sweet Corn Salsa/Salad
Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy Free and Refined Sugar Free
- 2 tins of sweetcorn (mine were each 285g)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 150 g cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 a cucumber
- 1 Handful of fresh coriander
- 1 thin slice of lemon to garnish
- Dressing – 1/2 the juice of a lemon
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of honey or agave nectar
- Salt and Pepper
- Open tins of sweetcorn and drain of all the liquid.
- Coat a large frying pan with olive oil and on medium heat sauté the sweet corn for 6-8 minutes until it has golden brown patches
- Remove from the heat empty the corn into a large bowl and leave for 10-15 minutes to cool.
- In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, olive oil and honey to make the dressing and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes in half, the cucumber into slices and then half them and lightly chop the coriander and add it to the corn.
- Pour the dressing over the rest of the salad and mix to combine.
- It can be eaten right away but it is best when left for a couple of hours. It can be stored in an airtight container in for a couple days in the fridge.