In my opinion the simplest of recipes are always the best. Few ingredients and a a non fussy method seem to make the food really shine and produce an absolutely delicious result. This is probably the easiest way to make homemade chocolate. It has few ingredients and coconut oil is used to replace the cocoa butter that is found in normal chocolate which means that the melting point is much lower so it must be kept in the freezer but nonetheless the result is gorgeous and mouthwatering. Using beautiful ingredients means that it is loaded with vitamins and minerals so it truly nourishing.
The inspiration for this recipe came from doing some research into raw chocolate and I was inspired by the delicious combinations made by companies such as doisy dam and conscious chocolate (Love potion no.9 is a particular favorite of mine. The combination of creamy chocolate and rose oil is just perfect.)
Coconut oil - Contains a healthier form of saturated fat and can boost your metabolism
Cacao Powder - Has an abudance of magnesium and iron and is also rich in polyphenols which have antioxidant properties.
*You can use cocoa powder as a replacement however it is much more refined and has less health benefits
Any topping can also help to boost the nutritional value of the chocolate
Coconut Oil Chocolate
Raw, Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy Free and Refined Sugar Free
- 100g or 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 60g or 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 90g or 1/3 cup honey (or any liquid sweetener you want)
- Optional toppings- (you can use anything you want really)
- Goji berries
- Chia seeds
- Line a baking sheet with some parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat the coconut oil gently until it melts.
- Remove from the heat and add cacao powder and honey and whisk until smooth.
- Set the chocolate mixture aside for 5-10 mintes at room temperture to cool and thicken slightly.
- Pour the chocolate onto the parchment paper and then sprinkle the salt and your toppings.
- Place on a flat surface in your freezer for 20 – 30 minutes until frozen.
- Once frozen break it into pieces and store it in your freezer ready to eat (it will melt to room temperature)